Friday, August 25, 2006

 

Soul Asylum

I saw Soul Asylum for free in a park in downtown San Jose last night. Their bass player karl mueller died of cancer in the last year. They have a new album out, their first in like 8 years, and I think Karl played on a lot of it. Tommy Stinson was on bass, and this awesome drummer, Michael Bland, who played with Prince was drumming. They played one song from While You Eere Out, and it was the best thing they did. "Catapillar crawling up a big old pole is there somebody that you want to talk to?" it gave me shivers it was so great. I would have loved to talk to those guys.

Lots of new songs I didn't like that much, but it was cool to see them still playing. You know how Pearl Jam got really big because they formed after the death of Andrew Wood? I think the music industry loves a story like that and we'll be hearing a lot of new Soul Asylum in the next few months. I guess that is fine, but the music they made from '85-90 just totally blows away their new stuff and I figure the masses don't know it and never will. That's how it goes. What are you going to do? I can't get in a time machine and go see them live in '87, but I wish I could. I figure I saw every show in Mlps from 85-89, I counted 30 that I could remember at one point. I suppose if I had the time machine technology going to the Soul Asylum show again shouldn't be a top priority, but it would be.

Comments:
Mike:

I don't know if you'll remember me, but I was a friend of your brother's back in the eighties and we all played guitar together once or twice (I was a tall guy with curly brown hair.)

Anyway, Bob came up in a conversation I had recently with someone else who knew him back then, and being curious to know what became of him, I Googled around and came up with your blog.

If you have any info on Bob you can give me, I'd really appreciate it.

Hope you are doing well yourself.

All the best,
Douglas Haney
 
Mike:

I suppose I should leave an e-mail address: dalochowski@stthomas.edu

Douglas
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?